4/5 Sweet Oranges
4 bags Sugar (4kg)
5.5 pints boiling water (3 litres)
(Makes 32, 8oz jars)
1. Scrub the fruit and remove the stalks. Place in a large bowl and scald with boiling water.
2. Peel the oranges, grapefruit and the best half of the lemons.
3. Put the peel to one side for slicing and cut the pulp into a pan with any reject pieces of peel.
4. Shred the peel on the finest blade of the food processor and put it into another pan with the juice of the worst half of the lemons.
5. Put the empty skins of the worst lemons onto the pan with the pulp along with 2 pints (1.2litres) boiling water.
6. Add 3.5pints (2.1 litres) boiling water to the pan with shredded peel and lemon juice.
7. Bring both pans to the boil and simmer for 2 hours.
8. Tie the colander to the handle of the large jam pan and strain the pan of pulp into it.
9. Stir the pulp and allow to drip through the colander till all liquid has gone through.
10. Discard the pulp and add the pan of shredded peel to the liquid.
11. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Place over a high heat and boil till setting point is reached, then boil for ten minutes longer.
12. Pour into clean jars and lid immediately.