Date Posted: 15/08/2016
450g (1lb) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped coarsely
75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar
100g (3 ½oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
100g (3 ½oz) caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
100g (3 ½oz) self-raising flour, sifted
Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
¼ tsp vanilla essence
Cream or custard, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4 and grease a 1.5-litre (2 ½ pint) ovenproof baking dish. Put the apples into the baking dish and sprinkle with the brown sugar; mix together lightly.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, then work in the eggs, sifted flour, lemon zest and vanilla essence and mix to a soft batter. Spread over the apples in the dish and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the surface with caster sugar. Serve immediately with cream or custard.
Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
Date Posted: 08/06/2016
- Take half the weight of chestnuts that you have of sprouts.
- Prick the skins and boil the chestnuts for 4 mins (or cook frozen ones in microwave)
- Meanwhile boil the sprouts as usual.
- When the chestnuts are cooked remove the skins and chop the chestnuts roughly
- Put the chopped chestnuts and cooked sprouts with a knob of butter into a hot pan and mix together.